Friday, May 6, 2011

AUSTRALIA APPRECIATION: Part 2

In honour of my impending trip to the wonderful land of Oz, I’ve decided to celebrate.
I have to just mention here that there is an ongoing mud-slinging match between South Africa and Australia. It mostly revolves around sport, and some other random silliness, but it gets quite ridiculous and out of hand sometimes. And I’m rather ashamed to say that, in the heat of a tense rugby match, I may have lowered myself to yelling nastiness at Australian teams and referees on occasion. Despite this, and watching too much Border Security, I am looking on the bright side. Which is turning out to be pretty damn bright! Aside from the obvious – my best friend’s wedding and all the awesomeness that surrounds it – I’ve discovered some pretty cool things about Oz.

Now, if you’re expecting a post filled with cutesy baby koalas and kangaroos and platypuses (platypi?) (why do I always feel like a dirty sailor when I say 'platypuss'?), I’m going to tell you now that you’re going to be disappointed. While I am looking forward to seeing that kind of thing, the kind of thing that Australia Appreciation Month consists of is equally as squee-worthy, but in a completely different way. As in: you will be squeeing, but if you’re doing it at your desk, you might get fired. *ahem*

So, without further ado, I give you:



MICHAEL HUTCHENCE


We could live
For a thousand years
But if I hurt you
I'd make wine from your tears

I told you
That we could fly
'Cause we all have wings
But some of us don't know why
 Born: 22 January 1960 - Sydney, Australia
Died: 22 November 1997 - Sydney, Australia

Known for: INXS, Giving his kid a weird name, Dying under peculiar circumstances
 * He was the founder and lead singer of INXS.
* He was sexy as sin (just ask the string of beauties he dated, not to mention the ones he's sure to have bedded, including Kylie Minogue, Helena Christenson, Belinda Carlisle and, probably most famously, Paula Yates.)

I need perfection
Some twisted selection
That tangles me
To keep me alive

In all that exists
None have your beauty
I see your face
I will survive


You might know of the original sin
And you might know how to play with fire
But did you know of the murder committed
In the name of love - yeah
You thought what a pity

* His death has been the subject of speculation for almost fifteen years now... some say it was suicide (which was the official ruling), and some say it was accidental during auto-erotic asphyxiation. Either way, it was a shock and a tragedy.

We look at all that shines
Baby's down on the world and she knows it
If your spirit's fine
Why don't we make it rain like we used to
We run We hide We want The good life
Aw sure
You're right
This ain't, the good life

* Nick Cave played "Into My Arms" at his funeral, famously requesting that the cameras be switched off for the duration of his performance as a show of respect.


Got some revelation put into your hands
Save you from your misery
Like rain across the land
Don't you see
The colour of deception
Turning your world around again
* Loads of songs have been dedicated to him since his death, including: U2's "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of", which Bono said was 'a good old row between friends', which he felt guilty for never having with Hutchence in real life; and Duran Duran's "Michael, You've Got A Lot to Answer For", which was released a month before Hutchence's death. The lyrics were eerily apt.

"Trust you to get caught up in somebody's war
You'll come out of it intact, I'm sure
Just remember what friends were put here for
Michael, you've got a lot to answer for
And I know that you're gonna call
If you need me"

She's so scared
So very frightened
Anything could happen
Right here tonight
Beautiful girl (stay with me)
Beautiful girl (stay with me)
She wants to go home
* "Corrupting Kylie is my favourite pastime" (1990)

Say I'm crying
I'm looking at what's on T.V
Pain and suffering
And the struggle to be free
* "Hutchence was the archetypal rock showman. He exuded an overtly sexual, macho cool with his flowing locks, and lithe and exuberant stage movements." -- Ian McFarlane

Here comes the woman
With the look in her eye
Raised on leather
With flesh on her mind
Words as weapons sharper than knives
Makes you wonder how the other half die
Other half die
* "He sings in a kittenish whisper, gently drawing back with the incredible lust of a tiger hunting in the night... Hutchence knows the prey will eventually come to him."  (Wikipedia)

I was shook up
Intoxicated
Drank the juices
Of the possibilities

I'm so alive
* I became 12 years old in five minutes, wanting to have sex with him. That's all I wanted! Oh my God. Everybody did! You just wanted him. He was the epitome of rock star. --Terri Nunn (of Berlin) on the why Hutchence was the inspiration behind her collaboration with Billy Corgan (of the Smashing Pumpkins), called Sacred and Profane

Give me tears
Give me love
Let me rest
Lord above
Send the bored
Your restless
The feedback scarred
Devotionless
You're all a part of me now
And if I fall
You're all a part of me now

And that wraps up Australia Appreciation Month, Part 2.

Until next time,

Love and platypi!

X

Note: All quotes from Wikipedia, images via Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment